After four long years, the wait is finally over: the XXII Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia is here!
Celebrate the world’s winter games with others in Colorado Springs as the City of Colorado Springs, the Downtown Development Authority, the United States Olympic Committee, and the Colorado Springs Sports Corporation host the Olympic Downtown Celebration gala.
On Feb. 7, head downtown from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. for the incredible event. The highlight of the night will be the NBC broadcast of the Opening Ceremony from Sochi on a 17-ft.-wide LCD TV.
The event will be held on Tejon Street from Platte Avenue to Pike Peak Avenue. Other attractions will include:
- Ceremonial lighting of the Olympic Cauldron
- Snowmobile jumping shows on Tejon Street
- Short & Sweet Downtown Dash
- First Friday Art Walk
- Live music by Austin Young from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Grant Sabin from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Dog sled demonstrations in Acacia Park
- Flying Ace trampoline performances throughout the evening
- Sales and specials from downtown merchants
- Ice climbing demonstrations at City Rock Gym
- KOAA live broadcast of the evening
- Sports booths and activities
Everyone is encouraged to dress in (warm) red, white, and blue attire to support team USA! There should be plenty of parking available at the event, so bring your entire family.
We hope to see you in Colorado Springs on Feb. 7 for the Olympic Downtown Celebration!
Photo Credit: Flickr user Paul Nuttall via Creative Commons